Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Good Book

I have to be honest, I'd rather be reading right now.

I started a book this summer on vacation, temporarily (well, for a matter of months) abandoned it during the mad rush months of the back-to-school season, and recently picked it back up again. And now, I'd rather be reading.

I've found time for my book on the recumbent bike. It's my reward for giving the treadmill a good go. Afterwards, I get to sit back and enjoy some mind candy as I pedal.

The problem? That's really all the time I've had for it recently. You see, I'm swimming in a sea of papers to grade, an ocean of other school work, and a little aquarium of blogging. And there are these little sucker fishies who keep attaching themselves to the sides of my glass tank...

Perhaps you're wondering what book I'm reading. Among Other Things, I've Taken Up Smoking by Aoibheann Sweeney, is the story of a girl who grew up alone on an island off the coast of Maine with her father. (No, not that type of island...this is no Blue Lagoon or Swiss Family Robinson.) She grew up alone, really, since her father was no companion. He was eccentric and reserved and could not, to say the least, relate to a young person. Now, she's moved to New York City to work and stay at an institute of classical studies. This is not something she's doing by choice, since she really doesn't know what she wants. But, she's doing it.

This book is right up my alley. It is the story of an internal struggle. A story of a character's journey in life and quest for themself, a place, fulfillment, relationships, truth. Right now, she's a fish out of water. I'm hoping, and crossing my fingers, that she meets a nice, young, handsome tang and they can find a little piece of coral to call home. I'm hoping that she discovers her own strengths, talents, interests and can get a job or find a school somewhere in the deep blue sea. But, unfortunately, I'm thinking things will get worse before they get better. There is definitely something bubbling under the surface that I was not expecting...

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm off to steal a moment or two for a chapter before my eyelids get too heavy.


1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I'm adding this to my "to read" list. Are you on GoodReads? (www.goodreads.com)

    ReplyDelete

Care to comment? Be my guest! Just remember, be classy -- not too sassy! (My young fans may be reading!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails